List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Anthony Pace Date:January 20 2011 7:20pm
Subject:Re: best way to have a unique key
View as plain text
Although I did berate you for your obvious cheek, I will of course
complement the acuteness of your response.

On 1/20/2011 2:10 PM, Anthony Pace wrote:
> Dude, come on.  I know that all primary keys have to be unique;
> however, I was obviously referring to the use of uuid over auto
> incrementation.
>
> On 1/20/2011 1:36 PM, Michael Dykman wrote:
>> It is axiomatic in the relational model that a primary must be unique.
>>   This is not a quirk put forth by your current employer.  Neither
>> MySQL nor any other RDBMS will allow you to establish a primary key
>> that is not unique.
>>
>>   - michael dykman
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Anthony
>> Pace<anthony.pace@stripped>  wrote:
>>> Due to certain reasons, the company I am doing business with has
>>> decided
>>> that the primary key, for an orders table, be a unique key; however,
>>> I don't
>>> like the possibility of it conflicting if moved to another machine.
>>>
>>> What are some pitfalls of using a unique key, that is generated by a
>>> server
>>> side script, rather than by mysql?
>>> What are the best ways to do this?
>>>
>>> Please keep in mind this variable will also be displayed on the
>>> customer's
>>> Receipt, but again, since it's random, it doesn't have to mean
>>> anything.
>>>
>>> --

best way to have a unique keyAnthony Pace20 Jan
  • Re: best way to have a unique keyKrishna Chandra Prajapati20 Jan
    • Re: best way to have a unique keyAnthony Pace20 Jan
      • Re: best way to have a unique keyLuciano Furtado20 Jan
    • RE: best way to have a unique keyDaevid Vincent20 Jan
Re: best way to have a unique keyAnthony Pace20 Jan
  • Re: best way to have a unique keyAnthony Pace20 Jan
    • Re: best way to have a unique keyMichael Dykman20 Jan
  • Re: best way to have a unique keyJohan De Meersman21 Jan
    • RE: best way to have a unique keyJerry Schwartz21 Jan
      • Re: best way to have a unique keyMichael Satterwhite21 Jan
    • Re: best way to have a unique keyMichael Dykman21 Jan
      • RE: best way to have a unique keyJerry Schwartz21 Jan