List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Anthony Pace Date:January 20 2011 7:10pm
Subject:Re: best way to have a unique key
View as plain text
Dude, come on.  I know that all primary keys have to be unique; however,
I was obviously referring to the use of uuid over auto incrementation.

On 1/20/2011 1:36 PM, Michael Dykman wrote:
> It is axiomatic in the relational model that a primary must be unique.
>   This is not a quirk put forth by your current employer.  Neither
> MySQL nor any other RDBMS will allow you to establish a primary key
> that is not unique.
>
>   - michael dykman
>
> On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 1:32 PM, Anthony Pace<anthony.pace@stripped>
> wrote:
>> Due to certain reasons, the company I am doing business with has decided
>> that the primary key, for an orders table, be a unique key; however, I don't
>> like the possibility of it conflicting if moved to another machine.
>>
>> What are some pitfalls of using a unique key, that is generated by a server
>> side script, rather than by mysql?
>> What are the best ways to do this?
>>
>> Please keep in mind this variable will also be displayed on the customer's
>> Receipt, but again, since it's random, it doesn't have to mean anything.
>>
>> --

best way to have a unique keyAnthony Pace20 Jan
  • Re: best way to have a unique keyKrishna Chandra Prajapati20 Jan
    • Re: best way to have a unique keyAnthony Pace20 Jan
      • Re: best way to have a unique keyLuciano Furtado20 Jan
    • RE: best way to have a unique keyDaevid Vincent20 Jan
Re: best way to have a unique keyAnthony Pace20 Jan
  • Re: best way to have a unique keyAnthony Pace20 Jan
    • Re: best way to have a unique keyMichael Dykman20 Jan
  • Re: best way to have a unique keyJohan De Meersman21 Jan
    • RE: best way to have a unique keyJerry Schwartz21 Jan
      • Re: best way to have a unique keyMichael Satterwhite21 Jan
    • Re: best way to have a unique keyMichael Dykman21 Jan
      • RE: best way to have a unique keyJerry Schwartz21 Jan