List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Anthony Pace Date:January 20 2011 6:32pm
Subject:best way to have a unique key
View as plain text
Due to certain reasons, the company I am doing business with has decided
that the primary key, for an orders table, be a unique key; however, I
don't like the possibility of it conflicting if moved to another machine.

What are some pitfalls of using a unique key, that is generated by a
server side script, rather than by mysql?
What are the best ways to do this?

Please keep in mind this variable will also be displayed on the
customer's Receipt, but again, since it's random, it doesn't have to
mean anything.
Thread
best way to have a unique keyAnthony Pace20 Jan
  • Re: best way to have a unique keyKrishna Chandra Prajapati20 Jan
    • Re: best way to have a unique keyAnthony Pace20 Jan
      • Re: best way to have a unique keyLuciano Furtado20 Jan
    • RE: best way to have a unique keyDaevid Vincent20 Jan
Re: best way to have a unique keyAnthony Pace20 Jan
  • Re: best way to have a unique keyAnthony Pace20 Jan
    • Re: best way to have a unique keyMichael Dykman20 Jan
  • Re: best way to have a unique keyJohan De Meersman21 Jan
    • RE: best way to have a unique keyJerry Schwartz21 Jan
      • Re: best way to have a unique keyMichael Satterwhite21 Jan
    • Re: best way to have a unique keyMichael Dykman21 Jan
      • RE: best way to have a unique keyJerry Schwartz21 Jan