List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dotan Cohen Date:January 20 2011 4:25pm
Subject:Re: Organisational question: surely someone has implemented many
Boolean values (tags) and a solution exist
View as plain text
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 17:22, Jerry Schwartz <jerry@stripped> wrote:
> I think the canonical way would be to have one table for your items, one table
> for your tags, and one table for your tag assignments.

Thank you, I do agree that this is the best way. Other posters seem to
agree as well!

> Using an ever-lengthening bitmap for the tag assignments is a trap for the
> unwary. The path to perdition is lined with the bodies of those who believed
> "We'll never need more than x..."

640 kb?

> As for setting up a hierarchy, that's trickier. One way to handle that is to
> work like libraries do: 10 is "fiction", 10.05 is "crime novels", 10.05.07 is
> "British authors", and so forth. Your `tags` table then looks like

Thanks. I prefer the "parent tag" field, though, I feel that it is
more flexible.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com
Thread
Organisational question: surely someone has implemented many Booleanvalues (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
  • Re: Organisational question: surely someone has implemented manyBoolean values (tags) and a solution existPeter Brawley20 Jan
    • Re: Organisational question: surely someone has implemented manyBoolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
  • RE: Organisational question: surely someone has implemented many Boolean values (tags) and a solution existJerry Schwartz20 Jan
    • Re: Organisational question: surely someone has implemented manyBoolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
      • RE: Organisational question: surely someone has implemented many Boolean values (tags) and a solution existJerry Schwartz20 Jan
        • Re: [PHP] RE: Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Hutto20 Jan
        • Re: [PHP] RE: Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
          • RE: [PHP] RE: Organisational question: surely someone has implemented many Boolean values (tags) and a solution existJerry Schwartz20 Jan
  • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existRichard Quadling20 Jan
    • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
      • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
      • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existRichard Quadling20 Jan
        • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Harkness20 Jan
          • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Hutto20 Jan
            • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
              • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Hutto20 Jan
                • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
                  • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Hutto20 Jan
                    • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen21 Jan
        • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
          • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existRichard Quadling21 Jan
            • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen21 Jan
    • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Harkness20 Jan
      • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
        • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Harkness20 Jan
          • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen21 Jan
            • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Harkness21 Jan
        • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existPeter Brawley20 Jan