List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Dotan Cohen Date:January 20 2011 4:20pm
Subject:Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implemented
many Boolean values (tags) and a solution exist
View as plain text
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 17:00, Richard Quadling <rquadling@stripped> wrote:
> I'd have my items table, my tags table and a join table for the two.
> My join table is really simple. UniqueID, ItemID, TagID.

Yes, that is the first approach that I mentioned. It looks to be a
good compromise.

> I'd recommend using a nested set approach for the tags
> (http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/hierarchical-data.html
> gives a good explanation on the issues and methodology of nested
> sets).

That is terrific, at least the first half. The second half, with the
Venn diagrams, is awkward!

--
Dotan Cohen

http://gibberish.co.il
http://what-is-what.com
Thread
Organisational question: surely someone has implemented many Booleanvalues (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
  • Re: Organisational question: surely someone has implemented manyBoolean values (tags) and a solution existPeter Brawley20 Jan
    • Re: Organisational question: surely someone has implemented manyBoolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
  • RE: Organisational question: surely someone has implemented many Boolean values (tags) and a solution existJerry Schwartz20 Jan
    • Re: Organisational question: surely someone has implemented manyBoolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
      • RE: Organisational question: surely someone has implemented many Boolean values (tags) and a solution existJerry Schwartz20 Jan
        • Re: [PHP] RE: Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Hutto20 Jan
        • Re: [PHP] RE: Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
          • RE: [PHP] RE: Organisational question: surely someone has implemented many Boolean values (tags) and a solution existJerry Schwartz20 Jan
  • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existRichard Quadling20 Jan
    • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
      • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
      • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existRichard Quadling20 Jan
        • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Harkness20 Jan
          • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Hutto20 Jan
            • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
              • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Hutto20 Jan
                • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
                  • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Hutto20 Jan
                    • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen21 Jan
        • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
          • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existRichard Quadling21 Jan
            • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen21 Jan
    • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Harkness20 Jan
      • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen20 Jan
        • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Harkness20 Jan
          • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDotan Cohen21 Jan
            • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existDavid Harkness21 Jan
        • Re: [PHP] Organisational question: surely someone has implementedmany Boolean values (tags) and a solution existPeter Brawley20 Jan