List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:December 23 2010 1:09pm
Subject:Re: Error while running Mysql
View as plain text
Hi!

Johan De Meersman wrote:
> Probably one for the guys with the compilers, but have you tried running it
> with dtrace and seeing where it explodes ?

TTBOMK, "dtrace" is a Solaris tool, and I haven't heard about it being
available on CentOS.

I assume this is a typo, and Johan meant "strace". I agree this might
provide some helpful info.

> On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 1:38 PM, Adarsh Sharma
> <adarsh.sharma@stripped>wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I am able o successfully build Mysql 5.5.8 from its source code on CentOS
>> but when I issued the following command , it doesn't shows the mysql>
>> prompt, there is no error in log file.
>>

>> [root@ws-test mysql-5.5.8]# bin/mysql -p

Before researching that any further:
Do you have any specific reason to work as root?
If not (or if your only reason is laziness), please do your operations
as non-root, "normal" user: It is safer for you, and it may alter
program behavior.

Also, is "/usr" your current directory?
In that case, I propose you "cd" to some other place where it may make
more sense to do your work and to keep your files.

>> Enter password:
>> Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
>> Your MySQL connection id is 2
>> Server version: 5.5.8 Source distribution
>>
>> Copyright (c) 2000, 2010, Oracle and/or its affiliates. All rights
>> reserved.
>>
>> Oracle is a registered trademark of Oracle Corporation and/or its
>> affiliates. Other names may be trademarks of their respective
>> owners.
>>
>> Segmentation fault

I am used to SIGSEGV causing a core dump, and in this case a stack
backtrace would definitely be interesting.
You may need to install a debugger for this, preferably "gdb".

>> [root@ws-test mysql-5.5.8]#
>>
>> Don't know what to do.Please help.

So if this issue persists for non-root in (or below) a home directory,
and you get a core dump there, a call
   gdb /PATH/TO/mysql 2>&1 | tee TRACE
(capital words replaced as appropriate) will start the debugger, typing
   bt
will create the backtrace, and
   quit
will get you out again.

Then, post again here, and paste the contents of file "TRACE".

Also, don't forget to include your "configure" (or rather: "cmake") line
and the exact versions of CentOS and gcc.

HTH,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,  joerg.bruehe@stripped
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG,   Komturstrasse 18a,   D-12099 Berlin

Thread
Error while running MysqlAdarsh Sharma23 Dec
  • Re: Error while running MysqlJohan De Meersman23 Dec
    • Re: Error while running MysqlGlyn Astill23 Dec
      • Re: Error while running MysqlAnanda Kumar23 Dec
    • Re: Error while running MysqlJoerg Bruehe23 Dec
  • Re: Error while running MysqlKrishna Chandra Prajapati23 Dec
    • Re: Error while running MysqlSharl.Jimh.Tsin25 Dec