List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jesper Wisborg Krogh Date:December 17 2010 11:06am
Subject:Re: Access to MySQL
View as plain text
On 17/12/2010, at 9:02 AM, Jerry Schwartz wrote:

> I have to move the back-end of an Access application to MySQL, and I’ve run
> into one issue that I haven’t been able to solve yet.
>
> The Access database stores dates as text in a “yyyy/mm/dd” format. The
> problem is that the default value is a formula that generates the current date, formatted
> as text. In Access, it looks like
>
> '=Format$(Now(),\"yyyy/mm/dd\")'
>
> This construct is used throughout the table definitions.
>
> Is there any alternative to setting the default to something else (NULL, for example)
> and moving the “default” into the application code? That would be a
> significant PITA.

If a 32-bit date range is enough, then you can use the timestamp data type. That supports
having the current time as the default value. See also
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/timestamp.html

Regards,
Jesper
Thread
Access to MySQLJerry Schwartz16 Dec
  • Re: Access to MySQLJesper Wisborg Krogh17 Dec
    • RE: Access to MySQLJerry Schwartz17 Dec
  • Re: Access to MySQLjoao17 Dec
    • RE: Access to MySQLJerry Schwartz17 Dec
      • Re: Access to MySQLMySQL)17 Dec
        • RE: Access to MySQLJerry Schwartz17 Dec