List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:December 12 2010 1:23am
Subject:Re: Design: how to prioritise 1-to-many fields
View as plain text
> From: gvim <gvimrc@stripped>
>
> I have a typical contact database which caters for multiple email addresses with a
> distinct Email table keyed to a foreign key inside the Contact table, ie. a 1-to-many
> relationship. However, I want to prioritise these Email entries for a given Contact entry
> so all I can think of is to add a numeric Priority field alongside the Address field
> inside the Email table. Is this the best/standard solution or is there another way?

Ask yourself, "what has a relationship with what." Do these Email table entries have
relationships with each other?

Perhaps a better way would be for Email table entries to be threaded together in a linked
list: "Primary --> Secondary --> Tertiary --> ..." rather than put an arbitrary
number in there.

I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations which dare
already to challenge our government to a trial of strength. -- Thomas Jefferson

Design: how to prioritise 1-to-many fieldsgvim9 Dec
  • Re: Design: how to prioritise 1-to-many fieldsJohan De Meersman9 Dec
  • RE: Design: how to prioritise 1-to-many fieldsJerry Schwartz9 Dec
Re: Design: how to prioritise 1-to-many fieldsJan Steinman12 Dec