List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Machiel Richards Date:December 8 2010 8:51am
Subject:Moving of databases from one server to another
View as plain text
HI All

    I am hoping someone has had this before as this one is baffling me
entirely.

    We did a MySQL database move from one machine to another one last
night.

        The O/S versions are the same and so are the database version
(5.1.22).

        The database was installed and configured on the new machine and
was running perfectly. no issues.

        Seeing that both versions would be exactly the same, we decided
to do a full backup including the mysql database in order to preserve
all permissions etc... and then restore this to the new machine.

        The backup and restore went through without any issues
whatsoever.

        However when I used the /etc/init.d/mysql script to restart the
database, I started getting errors during shutdown and startup
procedure.

        Despite this the database did start up and was accessible,
however even when running /etc/init.d/mysql status command I get errors
as below (these are the same received during startup):

                                         /etc/init.d/mysql status
                                        /usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to
                                        server at 'localhost' failed
                                        error: 'Access denied for user
                                        'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' (using password:
YES)'
                                         *

            I have tried to look on the net for answers but nothing was
found to resolve this. I have reset the passwords for this user (also
getting the same error for root@localhost).
            One site also suggested correcting the password in
the /etc/mysql/debian.cnf which I did, but still getting these messages.

            This is a production system and I am a bit concerned to the
fact that the startup script does not work properly.

              Is there anyone who has had this issue before and have
been able to resolve it?

                Thank you in advance for any help on this matter.

Regards
Machiel

Thread
Moving of databases from one server to anotherMachiel Richards8 Dec
  • Re: Moving of databases from one server to anotherAnanda Kumar8 Dec
  • Re: Moving of databases from one server to anotherJohan De Meersman8 Dec
    • Re: Moving of databases from one server to anotherMachiel Richards8 Dec