List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Grant Date:December 3 2010 8:41pm
Subject:Re: Verifying security
View as plain text
> without flags to tell it otherwise, nmap only scan ports 1-1024,
> higher numbered ports would have to be specified via nmap -p 1-5000
> but see how much longer it takes.

Bingo.  That was it.  I see now that I've had port 3306 open until
recently.  I'm working on verifying that the mysql users have
passwords.

- Grant

>> I've got a couple security questions for you guys.
>>
>> Is there a way to verify I've set a password for mysql's root?
>>
>> I was previously running mysqld without --skip-networking until I
>> noticed port: 3306 was referenced in mysqld.err.  The strange thing is
>> 'nmap localhost' never found an open 3306 port and I wasn't running a
>> firewall on that system.  Does this behavior make sense to anyone?
>>
>> - Grant
Thread
Verifying securityGrant29 Nov
  • RE: Verifying securityRolando Edwards29 Nov
    • Re: Verifying securityGrant3 Dec
  • Re: Verifying securityMichael Dykman29 Nov
    • Re: Verifying securityGrant3 Dec