List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Dykman Date:November 29 2010 6:46pm
Subject:Re: From Maurizio Ponti, Switzerland
View as plain text
as root, stop your mysql server in the normal way
ie :$ service mysqld stop

run mysql explicitly to skipp credentials

ie. (run it in the back ground)

$ /usr/libexec/mysqld --skip-grant-tables  &

once the server starts, you should be able to:
$ mysql -u root

assming you get in (no reason you shouldn't if you got this far), you
can use SQL statements to manipulate user data; you can't use GRANT or
SET PASSWORD so

use mysql;

update user set Password = PASSWORD('yourpassword') where User = 'root';

exit your session and kill your mysqld process. (get the pid via ps
-aux, then kill that)

restart mysql normally, and you should be good.  (I had to do this
over the weekend on a system someone else setup but failed to record
the credentials).

 - michael dykman

--
 - michael dykman
 - mdykman@stripped

 May the Source be with you.
Thread
  • Re: From Maurizio Ponti, SwitzerlandWagner Bianchi29 Nov
  • Re: From Maurizio Ponti, SwitzerlandMichael Dykman29 Nov