List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Wang Date:November 29 2010 1:21pm
Subject:Re: Mysql server full with idle connections
View as plain text
Johan De Meersman <vegivamp@stripped> writes:

Hi,

You may check the network at that time.

We had have a similar problem caused by broken network-card, use
`/sbin/ifconfig | grep errors' to check errors/dropped counter.  for
example, broken network-card may cause many connections, since normal
tcp connect open/close can't be completed.

-peter

> Hey,
>
> Late last night, I got a call that one of our servers was down. Turns out
> the machine had all 2500 connection slots in use, but none of them appeared
> to be doing anything: hardly any CPU was being used, load 0.05, and tcpdump
> confirmed that pretty much no data was being sent, either.
>
> Disks were writeable - so not hanging write flood - and when I eventually
> sent a kill, the daemon did a clean shutdown and came back up without a
> hitch.
>
> Unfortunately I couldn't log in while this was going on because I never
> configured a few extra connections for super - that's been fixed by now.
>
> Munin shows no discernable cause, no ramp-up on the load or whatever on
> either the DB or the webservers; just a very sudden increase in open
> connections and an equally sudden drop in network traffic.
>
> Neither slowlog nor sys/errorlog shows anything out of the ordinary.
>
> I can think of only two causes: bug in the app code, or bug in MySQL. This
> is 5.0.32-Debian_7etch3-log (Debian package) on Debian Etch, running on
> x86_64.
>
> Does anyone know of similar things happening ?

Thread
Mysql server full with idle connectionsJohan De Meersman24 Nov
  • Re: Mysql server full with idle connectionsJohn Daisley24 Nov
    • Re: Mysql server full with idle connectionsJohan De Meersman24 Nov
      • Re: Mysql server full with idle connectionsPrabhat Kumar26 Nov
        • Re: Mysql server full with idle connectionsJohan De Meersman29 Nov
  • Re: Mysql server full with idle connectionsPeter Wang29 Nov
    • Re: Mysql server full with idle connectionsJohan De Meersman29 Nov