List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Peter Brawley Date:November 28 2010 8:45pm
Subject:Re: mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"
View as plain text
>I'm running mysql-5.1.51 which is the latest marked stable in Gentoo.
>Does this still apply?

No, just 5.5.7.

PB

-----

On 11/28/2010 2:28 PM, Grant wrote:
>>> I'm trying to run mysql_upgrade but I get:
>>>
>>> # mysql_upgrade
>>> Looking for 'mysql' as: mysql
>>> Looking for 'mysqlcheck' as: mysqlcheck
>>> Running 'mysqlcheck' with connection arguments: '--port=3306'
>>> '--socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'
>>> mysqlcheck: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'
>>> (using password: NO) when trying to connect
>>> FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed
>>>
>>> I've also tried specifying my root password with --password and also
>>> specifying -u mysql but it still fails with error 1045.  My
>>> /etc/passwd file looks like there is no password for user mysql.  What
>>> else should I try?
>> Is this 5.5.7? You have to run the server with --skip-grant-tables, then run
>> mysql_upgrade.
> I'm running mysql-5.1.51 which is the latest marked stable in Gentoo.
> Does this still apply?  I always use Gentoo's mysql initscript so I'm
> trying to find the correct command to start mysqld wtih
> --skip-grant-tables.
>
> - Grant

Thread
mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"Grant28 Nov
  • Re: mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"Peter Brawley28 Nov
    • Re: mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"Grant28 Nov
      • Re: mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"Peter Brawley28 Nov
        • Re: mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"Grant28 Nov
  • Re: mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"Carsten Pedersen28 Nov
    • Re: mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"Grant29 Nov