List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Grant Date:November 28 2010 8:28pm
Subject:Re: mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"
View as plain text
>> I'm trying to run mysql_upgrade but I get:
>>
>> # mysql_upgrade
>> Looking for 'mysql' as: mysql
>> Looking for 'mysqlcheck' as: mysqlcheck
>> Running 'mysqlcheck' with connection arguments: '--port=3306'
>> '--socket=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock'
>> mysqlcheck: Got error: 1045: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost'
>> (using password: NO) when trying to connect
>> FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed
>>
>> I've also tried specifying my root password with --password and also
>> specifying -u mysql but it still fails with error 1045.  My
>> /etc/passwd file looks like there is no password for user mysql.  What
>> else should I try?
>
> Is this 5.5.7? You have to run the server with --skip-grant-tables, then run
> mysql_upgrade.

I'm running mysql-5.1.51 which is the latest marked stable in Gentoo.
Does this still apply?  I always use Gentoo's mysql initscript so I'm
trying to find the correct command to start mysqld wtih
--skip-grant-tables.

- Grant
Thread
mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"Grant28 Nov
  • Re: mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"Peter Brawley28 Nov
    • Re: mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"Grant28 Nov
      • Re: mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"Peter Brawley28 Nov
        • Re: mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"Grant28 Nov
  • Re: mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"Carsten Pedersen28 Nov
    • Re: mysql_upgrade fails with "Access denied"Grant29 Nov