List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rolando Edwards Date:November 24 2010 2:52pm
Subject:RE: Another replication question
View as plain text
MySQL, by design, cannot do that.

A DB Server can be Master to Multiple Slaves
Think of the CHANGE MASTER TO command.
Its internal design cannot accommodate reading from more than one set of relay logs.

You could attempt something convoluted, like
1) STOP SLAVE;
2) CHANGE MASTER TO <Master 1>
3) START SLAVE;
4) Read and process some binary log transactions, wait till you are zero sec behind master
5) STOP SLAVE;
6) CHANGE MASTER TO <Master 2>
7) START SLAVE;
8) Read some process binary log transactions, wait till you are zero sec behind master
9) Repeat from step 1

Make sure Each Master is updating only one specific set of databases, mutual exclusive from other Masters
Make sure you properly record the log file and log position from each master

I would never try this under normal circumstances.

I think this was described in the "High Performance MySQL" book
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0596101716?tag=xaprb-20

Rolando A. Edwards
MySQL DBA (CMDBA)

155 Avenue of the Americas, Fifth Floor