List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:November 23 2010 11:19am
Subject:Re: localhost vs domain for connection string
View as plain text
IIRC, "localhost" is seen by the client as a magic word to mean "use the
UNIX socket, not 127.0.0.1".

So, yes, that would make the connection not show up in netstat :-)

On Tue, Nov 23, 2010 at 11:11 AM, Brent Clark <brentgclarklist@stripped>wrote:

> Hiya
>
> Is there a difference if someone had to make the connection string the a
> domain (hosts file entry makes the machine look at its ip) as opposed to
> just using localhost.
> If so would a performance hit be incurred?
>
> I have this client that has used the domain and in netstat im  seeing all
> this
>
> tcp        0      0 own.ex.ip:50340      own.ex.ip:3306       ESTABLISHED
> 30324/apache2
> tcp        0      0 own.ex.ip:50287      own.ex.ip:3306       ESTABLISHED
> 30309/apache2
> tcp        0      0 own.ex.ip:3306       own.ex.ip:50287      ESTABLISHED
> 29234/mysqld
> tcp        0      0 own.ex.ip:50357      own.ex.ip:3306       ESTABLISHED
> 31714/apache2
> tcp        0      0 own.ex.ip:3306       own.ex.ip:50335      ESTABLISHED
> 29234/mysqld
>
> But I have another client that is using localhost and netstat is quiet as a
> mouse.
>
> This actually never dawned on me. Hence the reason im asking
> But the real reason is that the first clients machine is under heavy load
> and we are trying to see what can be improved.
>
> Kind Regards
> Brent Clark

Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel

Thread
localhost vs domain for connection stringBrent Clark23 Nov
  • Re: localhost vs domain for connection stringJohan De Meersman23 Nov
    • RE: localhost vs domain for connection stringJerry Schwartz23 Nov
      • Re: localhost vs domain for connection stringJohan De Meersman24 Nov
        • RE: localhost vs domain for connection stringJerry Schwartz24 Nov
          • Re: localhost vs domain for connection stringJohan De Meersman25 Nov
            • RE: localhost vs domain for connection stringJerry Schwartz29 Nov
Re: localhost vs domain for connection stringJan Steinman23 Nov