List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Brent Clark Date:November 23 2010 10:11am
Subject:localhost vs domain for connection string
View as plain text
Hiya

Is there a difference if someone had to make the connection string the a
domain (hosts file entry makes the machine look at its ip) as opposed to
just using localhost.
If so would a performance hit be incurred?

I have this client that has used the domain and in netstat im  seeing
all this

tcp        0      0 own.ex.ip:50340      own.ex.ip:3306
ESTABLISHED 30324/apache2
tcp        0      0 own.ex.ip:50287      own.ex.ip:3306
ESTABLISHED 30309/apache2
tcp        0      0 own.ex.ip:3306       own.ex.ip:50287
ESTABLISHED 29234/mysqld
tcp        0      0 own.ex.ip:50357      own.ex.ip:3306
ESTABLISHED 31714/apache2
tcp        0      0 own.ex.ip:3306       own.ex.ip:50335
ESTABLISHED 29234/mysqld

But I have another client that is using localhost and netstat is quiet
as a mouse.

This actually never dawned on me. Hence the reason im asking
But the real reason is that the first clients machine is under heavy
load and we are trying to see what can be improved.

Kind Regards
Brent Clark
Thread
localhost vs domain for connection stringBrent Clark23 Nov
  • Re: localhost vs domain for connection stringJohan De Meersman23 Nov
    • RE: localhost vs domain for connection stringJerry Schwartz23 Nov
      • Re: localhost vs domain for connection stringJohan De Meersman24 Nov
        • RE: localhost vs domain for connection stringJerry Schwartz24 Nov
          • Re: localhost vs domain for connection stringJohan De Meersman25 Nov
            • RE: localhost vs domain for connection stringJerry Schwartz29 Nov
Re: localhost vs domain for connection stringJan Steinman23 Nov