List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Tyler Poland Date:November 22 2010 2:24pm
Subject:Re: Changing database tables to different storage engine.
View as plain text
Machiel,

Each table will be write locked while it is being altered so this will
most likely impact the application.  In addition to the write lock, the
conversion causes each table to be completely rewritten in the new
format so this will have a high impact on IO write activity and so it
will impact overall IO throughput.  If your application is mostly reads,
is well cached in memory, and the tables are small this should be pretty
fast and relatively pain free.  If you aren't sure about the impact and
conversion time you may want to restore a backup of the database to
another location and run through the conversion while monitoring
performance numbers.

Tyler

On 11/22/10 5:55 AM, Machiel Richards wrote:
> Thank you John
>
>        I have in the meantime fond this to be the case (** someone
> changed config files without my knowledge it seems as this was setup
> properly and working**)
>
>          Anyhow, in order for the innodb to be active again I need to
> restart the database, however aftewards I assume the tables will still
> be MyIsam.
>
>          In this event I will need to manually alter each table, and I am
> concerned about the impact of this on the system performance.
>
> Regards
> Machiel

Thread
Changing database tables to different storage engine.Machiel Richards22 Nov
  • Re: Changing database tables to different storage engine.Machiel Richards22 Nov
    • Re: Changing database tables to different storage engine.John Daisley22 Nov
      • Re: Changing database tables to different storage engine.Machiel Richards22 Nov
        • Re: Changing database tables to different storage engine.Johan De Meersman22 Nov
        • Re: Changing database tables to different storage engine.Tyler Poland22 Nov
          • Re: Changing database tables to different storage engine.Johan De Meersman22 Nov
            • Re: Changing database tables to different storage engine.Kyong Kim22 Nov