List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Anders Karlsson Date:November 8 2010 10:05pm
Subject:Re: Death of MySQL popularity?
View as plain text
I was a MySQL Sales Engineer up til a few weeks ago. I spent 6+ year at
MySQL. MySQL Classic never ever had InnoDB in it. Actually, the reason
for the existence of MySQL Classic was just that: MySQL without InnoDB
for OEMs.

If you wanted a non-GPL MySQL, you had to pay for it. And if MySQL
wanted a non-GPL InnoDB (in the old days, before Oracle), MySQL had to
pay for it. So for the customers that only embedded MyISAM, they could
get by by not having InnoDB included, which would lower the cost for
MySQL, as there was no InnoDB licence to pay.

Note in the above that this is OEM / Embedded only. For MySQL Enterprise
customers InnoDB was always included. Why? Because this was a GPL
distribution, using a GPL InnoDB, so no need for a InnoDB licence.
Simple as that.

In the old scheme then, when I was around, MySQL came in a few different
shapes:
- MySQL Embedded / OEM
-- With or without InnoDB. Two different prices (MySQL Classic being the
low end then). Commercial icence.
- MySQL Enterprise
-- The "supported" MySQL version. Different flavours mainly using
different SLAs and different MySQL Enterprise Monitor functionalities.
GPL Licence.
- MySQL Community Edition - The "good old" GPL downloadable version. GPL
Licence.

/Karlsson
Michael Dykman skrev 2010-11-08 22:47:
> I think Jorge Bruehe already has weighed in.  That is about as direct
> as you are likely to hear unless you have Larry Ellison on facebook.
>
>   - michael dykman
>

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 4:41 PM, Daevid Vincent<daevid@stripped>  wrote:

Death of MySQL popularity?Christoph Boget4 Nov
  • Re: Death of MySQL popularity?Johan De Meersman4 Nov
    • Re: Death of MySQL popularity?Johan De Meersman4 Nov
    • RE: Death of MySQL popularity?Daevid Vincent8 Nov
      • Re: Death of MySQL popularity?Michael Dykman8 Nov
        • Re: Death of MySQL popularity?Anders Karlsson8 Nov
  • Re: Death of MySQL popularity?Joerg Bruehe4 Nov
  • Re: Death of MySQL popularity?Carlos Mennens4 Nov
    • Re: Death of MySQL popularity?Johan De Meersman4 Nov