List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Joerg Bruehe Date:October 26 2010 9:45am
Subject:Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?
View as plain text
Hi Warren, all!

Your statement is true ...

Warren Young wrote:
> [[...]]
>
> A lone 2 TB rotating disk will beat a top-of-the-line SSD for linear
> writes, and you can beat an SSD for linear reads with a pair of disks in
> RAID-0 or -1, or four disks in RAID-10.  [[...]]

... but irrelevant:
Linear writes and linear reads are not what governs DBMS performance.

More relevant is this:

> [[...]]  SSDs have a clearer advantage
> for random I/O, a useful property for databases, but still, you
> shouldn't ignore the fact that SSD writes are expensive.

Especially important is the latency (not throughput!) of random writes
to the log, which may govern your transaction turnaround time.
I don't doubt "SSD writes are expensive", but that holds for any disk
subsystem write (regardless of the technology).

> Therefore, you get the SSD speed benefit only if writes are rare enough
> that more data is coming off the drive at any given time than is being
> written, or if your current disk subsystem is bottlenecked by rotating
> disk head seek time, or some combination.

Exactly: Seek time before writing a commit to the log.
So if your architecture uses a disk subsystem for "stable storage" (as
opposed to MySQL Cluster based on RAM and duplication), its write speed
is a limiting factor for the performance of write transactions.

> [[...]]

Regards,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,  joerg.bruehe@stripped
               (+49 30) 417 01 487

Thread
Is SSD suitable for mysql server?wroxdb25 Oct
  • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Johan De Meersman25 Oct
    • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Glyn Astill25 Oct
      • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Warren Young25 Oct
      • RE: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Daevid Vincent25 Oct
        • RE: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Glyn Astill26 Oct
    • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Warren Young25 Oct
      • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Joerg Bruehe26 Oct
  • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?mos26 Oct