List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Glyn Astill Date:October 25 2010 10:32am
Subject:Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?
View as plain text
--- On Mon, 25/10/10, Johan De Meersman <vegivamp@stripped> wrote:

> From: Johan De Meersman <vegivamp@stripped>
> Subject: Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?
> To: "wroxdb" <wroxdb@stripped>
> Cc: "mysql" <mysql@stripped>
> Date: Monday, 25 October, 2010, 10:03
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:56 AM,
> wroxdb <wroxdb@stripped>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > We are a company for gaming.
> > Our main db is mysql 5.1 installed on Linux.
> > Currently the hardware for mysql is 2*4 CPU, 16G
> memory, Raid 10 (four
> > disks).
> > Now we have the plan to replace the disks with SSD for
> better performance.
> > Do you think is it right for the SSD solution for
> mysql?
> >

> It may or may not be, depending on which problem you're
> trying to solve :-)
>
> For starters, how big is your DB ? If it fits in memory
> anyways, you'll not
> see a lot of benefit for selects. SSD may still be useful
> if you have a lot
> of writes, though.
>
> If the database doesn't fit in available memory, a lot more
> factors are
> going to apply, depending on the usage patterns.
>
> Incidentally, i'm not aware of how SSD plays with
> hard/software RAID setups
> - anyone know more about this ?

There have been some reports of raid cards not behaving themselvs with SSDs attached.

I guess it depends on how important your data is too.  Quite a few of the SSDs on the
market have been proven to not honour flush requests, so if the power goes out you've got
corrupted data.

That's not to say that SSDs don't look promising, the more expensive ones with a
supercapacitors on board have potential. But I just think you'd have to do a good bit of
testing yourself before trusting them no matter what the manufacturers say.  A good raid
controler with BBU and a few more spindles will greatly improve your write performance
too, maybe that's all you need.

Thread
Is SSD suitable for mysql server?wroxdb25 Oct
  • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Johan De Meersman25 Oct
    • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Glyn Astill25 Oct
      • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Warren Young25 Oct
      • RE: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Daevid Vincent25 Oct
        • RE: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Glyn Astill26 Oct
    • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Warren Young25 Oct
      • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Joerg Bruehe26 Oct
  • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?mos26 Oct