List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:October 25 2010 9:03am
Subject:Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?
View as plain text
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 7:56 AM, wroxdb <wroxdb@stripped> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> We are a company for gaming.
> Our main db is mysql 5.1 installed on Linux.
> Currently the hardware for mysql is 2*4 CPU, 16G memory, Raid 10 (four
> disks).
> Now we have the plan to replace the disks with SSD for better performance.
> Do you think is it right for the SSD solution for mysql?

It may or may not be, depending on which problem you're trying to solve :-)

For starters, how big is your DB ? If it fits in memory anyways, you'll not
see a lot of benefit for selects. SSD may still be useful if you have a lot
of writes, though.

If the database doesn't fit in available memory, a lot more factors are
going to apply, depending on the usage patterns.

Incidentally, i'm not aware of how SSD plays with hard/software RAID setups
- anyone know more about this ?

> Thanks.
>
> Regards,
> Kenn.

Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel

Thread
Is SSD suitable for mysql server?wroxdb25 Oct
  • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Johan De Meersman25 Oct
    • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Glyn Astill25 Oct
      • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Warren Young25 Oct
      • RE: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Daevid Vincent25 Oct
        • RE: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Glyn Astill26 Oct
    • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Warren Young25 Oct
      • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?Joerg Bruehe26 Oct
  • Re: Is SSD suitable for mysql server?mos26 Oct