List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Shawn Green (MySQL) Date:October 10 2010 12:54pm
Subject:Re: Design advice
View as plain text
On 10/8/2010 3:31 PM, Neil Tompkins wrote:
> Hi Shawn
>
> Thanks for your response. In your experience do you think I should still
> retain the data used to generate the computed totals ? Or just compute
> the totals and disregard the data used ?

In my experience, the details matter. Also in my experience, as soon as
you designate some bit of data as "useless" it will somehow become
critical that you find it again.

You should probably keep that lowest-level detail data somewhere safe
even if you never plan to need it for direct statistics reporting after
you use it to generate the first level or two of time-based summary tables.

--
Shawn Green
Oracle USA, Inc.