List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:September 29 2010 5:52am
Subject:Re: How to extend innodb files?
View as plain text
On Tue, Sep 28, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Jan Steinman <Jan@stripped> wrote:

> > From: "Jangita" <jangita@stripped>
> >
> > I do not think there is anything wrong with having one huge file is
> there?
>
> There is if you're doing incremental back-ups, in which case adding one
> byte to that file costs you 50GB of backup space.

That is only true if you're backing up on the FS level, which means you have
to quiesce the database first. The better/easier way to do incremental mysql
backups is by grabbing the closed binlog files; the downside to that is of
course that replaying those takes more time than restoring the datafile.

That being said, I don't know wether InnoDB files don't get updated metadata
even if no DML happens in them.

> ----------------
> You don't have to take insults personally. You can sidestep negative
> energy; you can look for the good in others and utilize that good, as
> different as it may be, to improve your point of view and to enlarge your
> perspective. -- Stephen R. Covey
> :::: Jan Steinman, EcoReality Co-op ::::

Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel

Thread
How to extend innodb files?Vokern28 Sep
  • Re: How to extend innodb files?Carlos Proal28 Sep
    • Re: How to extend innodb files?Jangita28 Sep
      • Re: How to extend innodb files?Vokern28 Sep
        • Re: How to extend innodb files?Johan De Meersman28 Sep
  • Re: How to extend innodb files?Krishna Chandra Prajapati28 Sep
    • Re: How to extend innodb files?Johan De Meersman28 Sep
    • Re: How to extend innodb files?Vokern28 Sep
      • Re: How to extend innodb files?Krishna Chandra Prajapati28 Sep
      • Re: How to extend innodb files?Johan De Meersman28 Sep
Re: How to extend innodb files?Jan Steinman28 Sep
  • Re: How to extend innodb files?Johan De Meersman29 Sep