List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Johan De Meersman Date:September 17 2010 11:16am
Subject:Re: Update record count
View as plain text
On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 3:51 AM, Shawn Green (MySQL) <> wrote:

> So if 10 rows of A match your conditions, 1 row from B match your
> conditions, and 10 rows from C match your conditions, then this query
> produces 10*1*10 total row combinations.

Umm. It's friday, so I may be rather off it, too, but aren't the conditions
inclusive ? They're AND, not OR. A Cartesian join on a(10 rows), b(1 row)
and c(10 rows) would produce as you say.

I would say that the number of rows is the number where
 * c.f3 is x, y or z
 * AND where b.f4 = yen
 * FROM the set produced by the join condition.

Check the number of rows in c that match f3 in (x, y, z).
Match those with rows in b as per join. This will yield the same or less
Filter those that match b.f4 = yen. This again will yield same or less.
Match those with a as per join. This, too, will yield same or less, and will
be your final number of rows.

Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel

Update record countJerry Schwartz16 Sep
  • Re: Update record countMySQL)17 Sep
    • Re: Update record countJohan De Meersman17 Sep
    • RE: Update record countJerry Schwartz17 Sep