List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Wm Mussatto Date:September 16 2010 9:55pm
Subject:Re: filesystem or database??
View as plain text

On Thu, September 16, 2010 13:30, mohit verma wrote:
> hello ,
> when we  install any package the terminal shows in end "
reading database"
> (used by package manager like .deb or
rpm). but as in linux everything is
> nothing but a file. so
database shown above must be a part of the
> filesystem

. so why we not say that " reading filesystem".
> what
differs and imposes to say filesystem or database differentlly

inspite
> of one being one subset of other (filesystem)?
"Database" can be stored as a file or a collection of related
files.
IMHO,
'reading a filesystem' would imply scanning a bunch of directories which
contain unrelated files, whereas 'reading a database' implies information
is in some sort of defined structure.

Just my $0.02 worth.

-------

William R. Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
http://www.csz.com
Ph. 909-920-9154 ext 101
Direct:
909-962-8547

Thread
Re: filesystem or database??mohit verma16 Sep
  • Re: filesystem or database??Wm Mussatto16 Sep