List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Patrice Olivier-Wilson Date:September 10 2010 4:08pm
Subject:newbie question database tables
View as plain text
I'm working on a database that needs to do a few things and getting
brain freeze on one part.

Scenario:

I want to compile a db of articles with these tables:

Categories
Topics
Users

Categories

cat_ID | cat_name

Topics

top_ID | top_name  | top_content | cat_ID

Users

user_ID | user_name | top_ID
or
user_ID | user_name | top_ID | top_IDb | top_IDc etc....

(output to web page using php)

But I need to show which users are using which topics, and I can add
top_ID to the user file, which is fine if they are only using one topic.

I could add 5 different topic to each user, but then I couldn't expand
later.

Reverse is true if I add user_ID to the Topics.

So, need an idea how to solve this so it doesn't matter how many new
users I keep adding, I can still see who is using the topics.

As I said, a newbie question. Thanks much.
--
Patrice Olivier-Wilson
http://biz-comm.com