List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Steve Staples Date:September 10 2010 2:51pm
Subject:Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?
View as plain text
did I miss the joke here?   Why does this backup script look SO wrong,
and very malicious?

service mysql stop -- stopping mysql... that's fine.
cd /var/lib/mysql -- changing directories to the /var/lib/mysql, ok...
fine
rm -rf * -- WHAT?  WHY ARE YOU REMOVING RECUSIVLY and FORCING DELETES on
all the MySQL files??   are you insane?  this is going to make a bad day
for a lot of people
tar zxvf file.tar -- Wait, you just blew away all the files in
the /var/lib/mysql directory, how can you extract a tar file, when it
does not exist, since you just deleted everything?????

anyway, I hope I missed the joke here, or missed something...

Steve.

On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 18:02 -0400, George Larson wrote:
> We do nightly backups at work just by taring the mysql directory.  In
> my environment, that is /var/lib/mysql.
>
> Like this:
>
> service mysql stop
> cd /var/lib/mysql
> rm -rf *
> tar zxvf file.tar
> rm -rf ib_logfile*
> chown -R mysql.mysql
> service mysql start
>
> Something similar might work for you.  Somebody with more MySQL
> expertise than me can probably help you customize the process to your
> environment.
>
> Good luck!
>
> On 9 September 2010 17:08, Uwe Brauer <oub@stripped> wrote:
> > andrew.2.moore@stripped wrote:
> >>
> >> Try using the failed hdd as a slave in a Linux machine.
> >
> >> You might find that the hdd won't boot to OS but may have enough in it to
> >> access the file system.
> >
> > I have done that already and I have access. But I don't know how to extract
> > the db (via dump) since the corresponding mysql server software is not
> > running. how can i tell linux to use the mysql db of the Mac?
> >
> > Uwe Brauer
> >
> > --

Steve Staples
Web Application Developer
519.258.2333 x8414

Thread
hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer9 Sep
Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?andrew.2.moore9 Sep
  • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer9 Sep
    • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?George Larson10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Mike McMullin10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer10 Sep
          • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Mike McMullin10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Joerg Bruehe10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Johan De Meersman10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Steve Staples10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?george larson10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Johnny Withers10 Sep
      • no success (was: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?)Uwe Brauer13 Sep
        • RE: no success (was: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?)Gavin Towey14 Sep
Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?george larson10 Sep
  • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer10 Sep
  • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?MySQL)10 Sep
    • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?george larson10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Johnny Withers10 Sep
Re:hard disk crash: how to discover the db?kapil verma11 Sep