List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Mike McMullin Date:September 10 2010 8:43am
Subject:Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?
View as plain text
On Thu, 2010-09-09 at 18:02 -0400, George Larson wrote:
> We do nightly backups at work just by taring the mysql directory.  In
> my environment, that is /var/lib/mysql.
>
> Like this:
>
> service mysql stop
> cd /var/lib/mysql
> rm -rf *
> tar zxvf file.tar
> rm -rf ib_logfile*
> chown -R mysql.mysql
> service mysql start
>
> Something similar might work for you.  Somebody with more MySQL
> expertise than me can probably help you customize the process to your
> environment.
>
> Good luck!

  While this sounds like an idea, does anyone know if there are actual
version idiosyncrasies that need to be looked at first, such as which
version of mysql was run on the failed system vs which is running on the
rescue system?

> On 9 September 2010 17:08, Uwe Brauer <oub@stripped> wrote:
> > andrew.2.moore@stripped wrote:
> >>
> >> Try using the failed hdd as a slave in a Linux machine.
> >
> >> You might find that the hdd won't boot to OS but may have enough in it to
> >> access the file system.
> >
> > I have done that already and I have access. But I don't know how to extract
> > the db (via dump) since the corresponding mysql server software is not
> > running. how can i tell linux to use the mysql db of the Mac?
> >
> > Uwe Brauer
> >
> > --

hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer9 Sep
Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?andrew.2.moore9 Sep
  • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer9 Sep
    • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?George Larson10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Mike McMullin10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer10 Sep
          • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Mike McMullin10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Joerg Bruehe10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Johan De Meersman10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Steve Staples10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?george larson10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Johnny Withers10 Sep
      • no success (was: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?)Uwe Brauer13 Sep
        • RE: no success (was: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?)Gavin Towey14 Sep
Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?george larson10 Sep
  • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer10 Sep
  • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?MySQL)10 Sep
    • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?george larson10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Johnny Withers10 Sep
Re:hard disk crash: how to discover the db?kapil verma11 Sep