List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:George Larson Date:September 9 2010 10:02pm
Subject:Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?
View as plain text
We do nightly backups at work just by taring the mysql directory.  In
my environment, that is /var/lib/mysql.

Like this:

service mysql stop
cd /var/lib/mysql
rm -rf *
tar zxvf file.tar
rm -rf ib_logfile*
chown -R mysql.mysql
service mysql start

Something similar might work for you.  Somebody with more MySQL
expertise than me can probably help you customize the process to your
environment.

Good luck!

On 9 September 2010 17:08, Uwe Brauer <oub@stripped> wrote:
> andrew.2.moore@stripped wrote:
>>
>> Try using the failed hdd as a slave in a Linux machine.
>
>> You might find that the hdd won't boot to OS but may have enough in it to
>> access the file system.
>
> I have done that already and I have access. But I don't know how to extract
> the db (via dump) since the corresponding mysql server software is not
> running. how can i tell linux to use the mysql db of the Mac?
>
> Uwe Brauer

hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer9 Sep
Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?andrew.2.moore9 Sep
  • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer9 Sep
    • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?George Larson10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Mike McMullin10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer10 Sep
          • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Mike McMullin10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Joerg Bruehe10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Johan De Meersman10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Steve Staples10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?george larson10 Sep
        • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Johnny Withers10 Sep
      • no success (was: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?)Uwe Brauer13 Sep
        • RE: no success (was: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?)Gavin Towey14 Sep
Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?george larson10 Sep
  • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Uwe Brauer10 Sep
  • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?MySQL)10 Sep
    • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?george larson10 Sep
      • Re: hard disk crash: how to discover the db?Johnny Withers10 Sep
Re:hard disk crash: how to discover the db?kapil verma11 Sep