List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Thorsten Heymann Date:September 6 2010 1:02pm
Subject:Dup Key Error Messages
View as plain text
Hi,

First, I'm new to this mailing list, hopefully I'll do my post the *right* way.

I've a problem with duplicate key error messages. In my application I use a table with
multiple unique keys (ip_addr and print_name). Lets use this example:
Table `device` :

CREATE TABLE `device` (
`id` INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT ,
`ip_addr` VARCHAR( 15 ) NOT NULL ,
`type` VARCHAR( 32 ) NOT NULL ,
`print_name` VARCHAR( 32 ) NOT NULL ,
PRIMARY KEY ( `id` ) ,
UNIQUE (
`ip_addr` ,
`print_name`
)
) ENGINE = InnoDB;

Let's do for example this two queries.

INSERT INTO `device` (ip, type, print_name) VALUES ('192.168.0.1', 'pc', 'desktop1');
INSERT INTO `device` (ip, type, print_name) VALUES ('192.168.0.1', 'router', 'gw1');

(Note the duplicate ip 192.168.0.1)

My problem is the error message sent MySql Server if a duplicate key error occurres during
insert / update. I have one machine running mysqld 5.0.41 who produces this message:

Duplicate entry '192.168.0.1' for key 2.

On the other machine who runs mysqld 5.1.51 I got the following:

Duplicate entry '192.168.0.1' for key 'ip'.

Since my application does something like this:

If(String.find('key 2', err_msg)){
     Print 'you have selected the ip twice'.
} else {
   Print_generic_error();
}

... it will not run on mysql 5.1.51.

Digging through mysqld source, I found this behaviour handled in sql/handler.cc and
changed from printing key_nr to key.name between this versions. :(

Is there a possible better, reliable way to detect what key is duplictated as searching in
the error message?

Greets Thorsten

MACNETIX<http://www.macnetix.com/> GmbH

Huttenstr. 31
10553 Berlin

Tel.  +49 (0) 30 34 34 678 - 0
Fax. +49 (0) 30 34 34 678 - 99

heymann@stripped<mailto:heymann@stripped>

Sitz & Gerichtsstand /Registered Office & Place of Jurisdiction : Berlin
Registergericht/ Registered at: HRB 86505 B Berlin-Charlottenburg
Geschäftsführung/ Member of the Management Board: Dirk Wahrheit, Peggy Bielke
Bitte beachten Sie unsere Webseite www.macnetix.de<http://www.macnetix.de/>!

Diese Information ist ausschliesslich fuer den Adressaten bestimmt und kann vertraulich
oder gesetzlich geschuetzte Informationen enthalten. Wenn Sie nicht der
bestimmungsgemaesse Adressat sind, unterrichten Sie bitte den Absender und vernichten Sie
diese Mail. Anderen als dem bestimmungsgemaessen Adressaten ist es untersagt, diese E-Mail
zu lesen, zu speichern, weiterzuleiten oder ihren Inhalt auf welche Weise auch immer zu
verwenden. Wir verwenden aktuelle Virenschutzprogramme. Fuer Schaeden, die dem Empfaenger
gleichwohl durch von uns zugesandte mit Viren befallene E-Mails entstehen, schliessen wir
jede Haftung aus.

The information contained in this email is intended only for its addressee and may contain
confidential and/or privileged information. If the reader of this email is not the
intended recipient, you are hereby notified that reading, saving, distribution or use of
the content of this email in any way is prohibited. If you have received this email in
error, please notify the sender and delete the email. We use updated antivirus protection
software. We do not accept any responsibility for damages caused anyhow by viruses
transmitted via email.

Thread
Dup Key Error MessagesThorsten Heymann6 Sep
  • Re: Dup Key Error MessagesTompkins Neil6 Sep
    • AW: Dup Key Error MessagesThorsten Heymann6 Sep
      • Re: AW: Dup Key Error MessagesMySQL)6 Sep
  • Re: Dup Key Error MessagesCarsten Pedersen6 Sep
    • AW: Dup Key Error MessagesThorsten Heymann6 Sep
  • Re: Dup Key Error MessagesJoerg Bruehe6 Sep
    • AW: Dup Key Error MessagesThorsten Heymann7 Sep
      • Re: AW: Dup Key Error MessagesChris W7 Sep