List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Neil Tompkins Date:September 5 2010 6:32am
Subject:Re: Best method to keep totals
View as plain text
Thanks for all the useful information. I'm going to ensure the
relevant fields are indexed and our db is optimised.

On 4 Sep 2010, at 16:10, Arthur Fuller <fuller.artful@stripped> wrote:

> 100% agreed.
>
> Arthur
>
> The other exception is also where financial data is being stored. If
> you
>> have, say, a database containing sales order records, then as well as
>> storing the individual values of each item in each order, you also
>> need to
>> store the total value of the order, the total price charged to the
>> customer
>> and the total paid by the customer. These three should, of course,
>> be not
>> only identical to each other but also to the sum of the individual
>> items, so
>> there is not only duplication but the potential for skew. But that,
>> of
>> course, is precisely *why* you store them, as any discrepancy
>> indicates an
>> error which needs to be investigated.
>>
>> Mark

Thread
Best method to keep totalsTompkins Neil1 Sep
  • RE: Best method to keep totalsJerry Schwartz1 Sep
    • Re: Best method to keep totalsTompkins Neil1 Sep
  • Re: Best method to keep totalsJangita3 Sep
    • Re: Best method to keep totalsArthur Fuller3 Sep
      • Re: Best method to keep totalsMark Goodge3 Sep
        • Re: Best method to keep totalsArthur Fuller4 Sep
          • Re: Best method to keep totalsNeil Tompkins5 Sep
            • Re: Best method to keep totalsTompkins Neil6 Sep
RE: Best method to keep totalsJan Steinman2 Sep
  • RE: Best method to keep totalsJerry Schwartz2 Sep
    • Re: Best method to keep totalsJan Steinman3 Sep