List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jan Steinman Date:September 2 2010 5:51pm
Subject:RE: Best method to keep totals
View as plain text
> From: "Jerry Schwartz" <jerry@stripped>
>
> IMNSHO, never store dynamic data in a field unless you absolutely have to.

I agree, and yet, it's so darned handy if it's a calculation you need quite often.

In FileMaker Pro (hold the "boos," please :-) you can have calculated fields -- a "pseudo
field" that holds references to other fields in an equation.

To do something similar in MySQL, I've used views (which is somewhat clumsy), but is there
a better way? Or is this necessarily part of domain knowledge programming in your
interface language?

----------------

Best method to keep totalsTompkins Neil1 Sep
  • RE: Best method to keep totalsJerry Schwartz1 Sep
    • Re: Best method to keep totalsTompkins Neil1 Sep
  • Re: Best method to keep totalsJangita3 Sep
    • Re: Best method to keep totalsArthur Fuller3 Sep
      • Re: Best method to keep totalsMark Goodge3 Sep
        • Re: Best method to keep totalsArthur Fuller4 Sep
          • Re: Best method to keep totalsNeil Tompkins5 Sep
            • Re: Best method to keep totalsTompkins Neil6 Sep
RE: Best method to keep totalsJan Steinman2 Sep
  • RE: Best method to keep totalsJerry Schwartz2 Sep
    • Re: Best method to keep totalsJan Steinman3 Sep