List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jangita Date:September 2 2010 2:41pm
Subject:Re: Replication VS Cluster
View as plain text
On 02/09/2010 4:32 p, Johan De Meersman wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Jangita <jangita@stripped
> <mailto:jangita@stripped>> wrote:

> Growth should be linear to the growth of customers, no ? :-)

I thought so too; but one customer = 1 customer record, plus all his
transactions, and also weirdly enough (common for us Africans) customers
tend to use the service more as more customers enroll (did that make any
sence?) :):)
> RAID setup is important :-) Datafiles preferably on raid 10.

Thanks a bunch on that generous tip!

> Have a look at Ultramonkey for that.

Thanks again!

> Standard setup would be replication, yes. If you setup automatic
> failover, make sure you prevent automatic failback - that's the best way
> to mess up your dataset.
>
> I also hear MMM is pretty good, although I have no personal experience
> with it.
>
> Another route you might want to investigate, is Xen (or VMWare, if so
> inclined). Build a single virtual host on your hardware, allocate
> everything and the kitchen sink to it, and run your MySQL in it. You'll
> have a slight performance loss, obviously, but here's the benefit: you
> can set up the second server so that it keeps a bit-perfect copy of your
> primary machine. The moment your primary machine dies, the second takes
> over; and since it has the EXACT same state down to the last bit of ram,
> you don't even lose a ping.
>
> Under Xen this feature is called Remus I believe, VMWare calls it Live
> Migration or something similar.

Thanks!
--
Jangita | +256 76 91 8383 | Y! & MSN: jangita@stripped