List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jangita Date:September 2 2010 11:10am
Subject:Replication VS Cluster
View as plain text
Hi Guys,
We have a system that has been running along nicely for the past three
months on a pc (4gb 1,8ghz,debian lenny pc). It is a telecom-financal
system; slightly 2 hits per minute but growing exponentally as customers
increase.

We have now bought two servers 12Gb RAM RAID blah blah; and we want to
set the servers up such that one is an exact duplicate of the other; to
guard against hardware failiure (in case for example one motherboard is
fried for some reason). We want to be able to switch from one server to
the next and continue with minimum downtime. Switching will be manual
until I figure out how to do an automatic switch (probably continuously
ping the main server from the hot backup and if the ping fails the hot
backup can change its ip automatically or something!)

Anyway, what method of keeping the two servers in sync would the experts
recommend between replication and setting up a cluster (or something
else)? which will also give me a painless (and later maybe automatic)
changeover? Both servers are connected to the same switch.
--
Jangita | +256 76 91 8383 | Y! & MSN: jangita@stripped
Skype: jangita | GTalk: jangita.nyagudi@stripped