List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Geoff Galitz Date:August 25 2010 6:23am
Subject:calculating memory size
View as plain text
Hello,

We are having issues with one of our servers sometimes hanging up and when attempting to
shutdown the DB, we get "cannot create thread" errors.

This server has 6GB of RAM and no swap.  According to some reasearch I was doing I found
this formula for calculating memory size:
key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_connections = (in your case)
384M + (64M + 2M)*1000 = 66384M That come directly from this old post:
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=5656In our case, the result is just below 6GB and then
accounting for other apps, we would certainly exceed that.  So, my question is simply: is
that forumula accurate for determinning potential mysql memory allocation? Thanks!
Thread
calculating memory size Geoff Galitz25 Aug
  • Re: calculating memory sizeJangita25 Aug