List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Chris W Date:August 21 2010 3:16pm
Subject:Re: Performing subtraction between fields
View as plain text
If you want C to always be A-B then it would, in my opinion, be a very
bad idea to store C in the table.  Instead you can just put C in your query.

SELECT `A`, `B`, `A` - `B` AS `C` FROM `table`

If that seems like a hassle, you could always create a view using that
select.

Chris W

b@stripped wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For simplicity's sake, let's say I have three fields, A, B and C, all
> of which are integers. I'd like the value of C to be equal to A less B
> (A-B). Is there a way I can perform this calculation? I'm guessing it
> would happen when I INSERT a row and specify the values for A and B.
> Feel free to direct me to the fine manual I should have read.
>
> Thank you.

Thread
Performing subtraction between fieldsb21 Aug
  • Re: Performing subtraction between fieldsMark Goodge21 Aug
  • Re: Performing subtraction between fieldsAshish Mukherjee21 Aug
    • Re: Performing subtraction between fieldsAshley Stars21 Aug
      • Re: Performing subtraction between fieldsAshish Mukherjee21 Aug
        • Re: Performing subtraction between fieldsDan Nelson22 Aug
  • Re: Performing subtraction between fieldsChris W21 Aug