List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jerry Schwartz Date:August 18 2010 12:49pm
Subject:RE: OpenOffice, Go-OO, ODBC, Offline Data Entry
View as plain text
I deal with a somewhat similar situation. Even though we have fast VPN
connections among our various offices, each has been afflicted with a
different database structure (and software) which they cannot change.

What I suggest you do is use the kind of "pseudo-synchronization" that we do.
Use a local copy of the application and database on each PC (MySQL will do
fine on even a modest system). Timestamp each record when you create or change
it.

When the user is back in contact with the office, extract all of the records
with timestamps newer than the last "synchronization" event and update the
central database.

Is this foolproof? Absolutely not, if there are conflicts between the changes
by different users. You'll be stuck with "He who write last, writes best"; but
I think that's as good as it's going to get for you.

How well this works depends upon the type of work. If the users have
non-overlapping "customers", or whatever, then it won't be too bad. You'll
have to judge for yourself.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
Global Information Incorporated