List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Michael Widenius Date:April 22 1999 2:10am
Subject:Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs Sun
View as plain text
>>>>> "Michael" == Michael Griffith <mgriffith@stripped> writes:

Michael> I plan to buy new equipment to operate a web site that relies very heavily
Michael> on a mySQL database. I have been unable to find any definitive answer on
Michael> what hardware would perform best.

Michael> I first thought to use FreeBSD or Linux, but now I'm told a Sun Ultra
Michael> running Solaris can do the work of several Pentium II based linux machines.
Michael> Yet many of the posts here seem to indicate than A Pentium system will do
Michael> more, faster for less money. Is the primary issue with disk I/O? or is a
Michael> server good at DB, not necessarily also good at web server performance?

Michael> 1) All hardware being equal, will mySQL perform better under Solaris, Linux,
Michael> or FreeBSD?

Michael> 2) Same OS, will mySQL perform better on Intel or Sun hardware? I realize
Michael> that's a tough comparison without taking price performance into
Michael> consideration.

Michael> 3) Can anyone point to some credible sources that compare web server/ DB
Michael> server performance?

Hi!

Check the following:

http://www.mysql.com/benchmark-results/result-mysql-platform.html

(Sorry, I didn't have a FreeBSD machine available to run the test)

Regards,
Monty
Thread
Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs SunMichael Griffith21 Apr
  • Re: Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs SunJules Bean21 Apr
  • Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs SunMichael Widenius22 Apr
Re: Linux, FreeBSD,Solaris and x86 vs SunKelly Yancey22 Apr