List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Geoff Galitz Date:July 25 2010 7:55pm
Subject:migration via replication for large DB?
View as plain text
Hello.

I need to migrate a master and slave to new hardware.  The DB is approx 50G on disk and my
time window for downtime is approximately 4 hours.

My question is, is it advisable to do a mysqldump from the old master and then load on the
new master and slave, or is it faster to just set the new master up as a slave, and when
it catches up to the old master I "flip the switch?"  The catch is that the new hardware
is in a different datacenter.

In other words, which is faster: dump and load or replication over the Internet?

Thanks for your time.

Thread
migration via replication for large DB?Geoff Galitz25 Jul
  • Re: migration via replication for large DB?Rob Wultsch26 Jul
    • Re: migration via replication for large DB?Anirudh Sundar26 Jul
      • Re: migration via replication for large DB?Prabhat Kumar26 Jul