List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Ashley M. Kirchner Date:July 19 2010 4:36pm
Subject:MySQL select matching
View as plain text
     I may be going at this completely wrong but at the moment I'm
stuck.  I have a DB from a client and need to do several searches on
it.  This one sentence is important because it's their DB, not mine.  So
I can't modify the way the DB was created in the first place, I can only
work with what I have.  And, whatever the solution to this might be, it
does NOT have to be strictly MySQL, it can also be a PHP solution (which
is why I'm sending it there as well.)  So, having said that, consider
the following table:

+-------+-----+-----+---+
| 00001 | 123 | 0.0 | C |
| 00001 | 234 | 0.1 | D |
| 00001 | 345 | 0.0 | D |
| 00001 | 456 | 0.1 | C |
| 00001 | 567 | 0.1 | G |
| 00002 | 123 | 0.0 | C |
| 00002 | 234 | 0.1 | D |
| 00002 | 345 | 0.0 | D |
| 00003 | 234 | 0.1 | D |
| 00003 | 345 | 0.0 | D |
| 00003 | 123 | 0.0 | C |
| 00003 | 456 | 0.1 | C |
| 00003 | 567 | 0.1 | G |
| 00004 | 123 | 0.0 | C |
| 00004 | 234 | 0.1 | D |
| 00004 | 345 | 0.0 | D |
+-------+-----+-----+---+

mysql> select * from table where id='00001';
+-------+-----+-----+---+
| 00001 | 123 | 0.0 | C |
| 00001 | 234 | 0.1 | D |
| 00001 | 345 | 0.0 | D |
| 00001 | 456 | 0.1 | C |
| 00001 | 567 | 0.1 | G |
+-------+-----+-----+---+

     Now, I have to find other IDs that match the above result.  In the
table, that would be ID '00003' (and in the entire DB, there may be
others as well - I need to find all those IDs.)  But, notice how ID 0003
isn't in the same order as ID 00001, but the data is still the same.

     So how do I efficiently search through the DB to find other IDs
that matches the one I need?  I can't imagine doing a for loop selecting
each ID and comparing their result to the one I'm starting with.  If the
DB contains thousands upon thousands of rows, that might take a very
long time.

     Open to suggestions.
Thread
MySQL select matchingAshley M. Kirchner19 Jul
  • Re: MySQL select matchingMichael Dykman19 Jul
    • Re: [MySQL] Re: MySQL select matchingAshley M. Kirchner19 Jul
    • Re: MySQL select matchingRoberto Z├írate Mendoza22 Jul
  • Re: MySQL select matchingMySQL)19 Jul
    • Re: [MySQL] Re: MySQL select matchingAshley M. Kirchner19 Jul
      • Re: [MySQL] Re: MySQL select matchingPeter Brawley19 Jul
  • Re: [PHP] MySQL select matchingSimcha Younger21 Jul