List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rob Wultsch Date:July 16 2010 4:37am
Subject:Re: Why is MySQL always linked to Php?
View as plain text
On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 7:00 AM, alba.albetti <alba.albetti@stripped> wrote:
> Browsing the Web I've seen that usually companies look for developers working on
> MySQL and Php. Why are the two things linked? I mean I've not found any requests for just
> a MySQL developer or DBA (as for example it happens for Oracle), but it's always requested
> a MySQL/Php expert.
> I ask for it 'cause I've always been a developer/DBA on RDBMS (Oracle and DB2) and as
> I've been learning MySQL for few weeks, I'd like to know whether and why it's so important
> to learn Php as well. It would be so difficult to find a job as MySQL developer/DBA
> without knowing Php as well.
> Thanks!

There are numerous good reasons why there is this correlation. I would
like to propose one that has not been mentioned. PHP is a mess. For
several years PHP put food on my table and I respect it for what it
is, but it really is a mess. Whether it is inconsistencies in function
parameters or looseness in how it deal with data that does not quite
fit, it is a mess.

I think MySQL is historically similar. Both are very weakly typed and
can produce surprises because of it. Both seem like they are designed
for quick productivity.

It seems like PostgreSQL has significant mindshare amongst Perl and C++ users...

--
Rob Wultsch
wultsch@stripped
        • RE: Why is MySQL always linked to PHP?Daevid Vincent16 Jul
          • Re: Why is MySQL always linked to PHP?Michael Dykman16 Jul
            • RE: Why is MySQL always linked to PHP?Jay Blanchard16 Jul
          • deletes from a VERY large tableBryan Cantwell16 Jul
  • Re: Why is MySQL always linked to Php?Rob Wultsch16 Jul
Re: Why is MySQL always linked to PHP?Jan Steinman17 Jul
  • Re: Why is MySQL always linked to PHP?Anirudh Sundar22 Jul
    • RE: Why is MySQL always linked to PHP?Jay Blanchard22 Jul
      • Re: Why is MySQL always linked to PHP?Anirudh Sundar23 Jul
        • Re: Why is MySQL always linked to PHP?Jan Steinman23 Jul
          • Re: Why is MySQL always linked to PHP?Anirudh Sundar23 Jul
          • RE: Why is MySQL always linked to PHP?Martin Gainty26 Jul
    • Re: Why is MySQL always linked to PHP?Jan Steinman22 Jul