List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Claudio Nanni Date:July 13 2010 5:55pm
Subject:Re: How to become a DBA on MySQL
View as plain text
Reference is everywhere, but you need a sort of starting point.

In your case I would say get this
book<http://www.amazon.com/MySQL-4th-Paul-DuBois/dp/0672329387/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279043056&sr=1-1>
and
read:

   - Part III
   - Part IV-D (quick read)

You will benefit from Part I as well as developer.

In my opinion this book is clear and linear, good to learn MySQL.

When you will be working as DBA keep this
one<http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596003067> in
the drawer.

Claudio

2010/7/13 alba.albetti <alba.albetti@stripped>

> Hi,
> I'd like to know which are the main tasks for a DBA, so in addition of the
> on-line tutorial of MySQL, is there anyone telling me whether there exists
> some tutorial (better if in PDF) where it's possible to undestand and learn
> all you need for managing the MySQL DB as DBA? I mean I'd like to read
> something explaining what are datafiles, tablespaces, ... and what usually a
> DBA is asked to do (creating databases, starting up and shutting down the
> database, managing the database's storage structures, making database
> backups and performing recovery, monitoring and tuning performance, ...) In
> other words I'd like to read how to manage a DB as DBA, because I've always
> worked only as developer and not as DBA.
> Thanks!

Claudio

Thread
How to become a DBA on MySQLalba\.albetti13 Jul
  • Re: How to become a DBA on MySQLRob Wultsch13 Jul
    • Re: How to become a DBA on MySQLJohn Daisley13 Jul
  • Re: How to become a DBA on MySQLCamilo Uribe13 Jul
  • Re: How to become a DBA on MySQLClaudio Nanni13 Jul
    • RE: How to become a DBA on MySQLJerry Schwartz13 Jul
      • RE: How to become a DBA on MySQLKeith Clark13 Jul
        • Re: How to become a DBA on MySQLJohn Daisley13 Jul
        • RE: How to become a DBA on MySQLJerry Schwartz13 Jul
          • Re: How to become a DBA on MySQLNilnandan Joshi15 Jul
          • RE: How to become a DBA on MySQLMartin Gainty18 Jul
            • Re: How to become a DBA on MySQLRob Wultsch18 Jul
              • RE: How to become a DBA on MySQLJerry Schwartz19 Jul
  • Re: How to become a DBA on MySQLMySQL)13 Jul
    • Re: How to become a DBA on MySQLPrabhat Kumar13 Jul