List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Rob Wultsch Date:July 13 2010 1:55pm
Subject:Re: How to become a DBA on MySQL
View as plain text
On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 6:24 AM, alba.albetti <alba.albetti@stripped> wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to know which are the main tasks for a DBA, so in addition of the on-line
> tutorial of MySQL, is there anyone telling me whether there exists some tutorial (better
> if in PDF) where it's possible to undestand and learn all you need for managing the MySQL
> DB as DBA? I mean I'd like to read something explaining what are datafiles, tablespaces,
> ... and what usually a DBA is asked to do (creating databases, starting up and shutting
> down the database, managing the database's storage structures, making database backups and
> performing recovery, monitoring and tuning performance, ...) In other words I'd like to
> read how to manage a DB as DBA, because I've always worked only as developer and not as
> DBA.
> Thanks!

It really depends on the company. Some DBA's are glorified sys admins,
some are mostly db developers and there is everything in between.

I do work that would be normal for a front end developer, I also
sometimes have to go digging into the C+ guts MySQL and I also deal
with lots non-technical issues. It really depends a lot on the
company.

--
Rob Wultsch
wultsch@stripped
        • Re: How to become a DBA on MySQLJohn Daisley13 Jul
        • RE: How to become a DBA on MySQLJerry Schwartz13 Jul
          • Re: How to become a DBA on MySQLNilnandan Joshi15 Jul
          • RE: How to become a DBA on MySQLMartin Gainty18 Jul
            • Re: How to become a DBA on MySQLRob Wultsch18 Jul
              • RE: How to become a DBA on MySQLJerry Schwartz19 Jul
  • Re: How to become a DBA on MySQLMySQL)13 Jul
    • Re: How to become a DBA on MySQLPrabhat Kumar13 Jul