List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:lejeczek Date:July 13 2010 9:43am
Subject:Re: how to setup replication - MySQL 5.0.x - Migration and new databases
View as plain text
I'm a novice myself and yes I must say on-line documentation is not easy
nor comprehensive,
let's take this page as an example:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/replication-howto-rawdata.html

if I don't use InnoDB Hot Backup, doc says..

"..Otherwise, you can obtain a reliable binary snapshot of |InnoDB|
tables only after shutting down the MySQL Server..
.. If you are replicating only certain databases then make sure you copy
only those files that related to those tables. (For InnoDB, all tables
in all databases are stored in the shared tablespace files, unless you
have the innodb_file_per_table option enabled.).."

but then nothing of how to do that!
I do not have - innodb_file_per_table - enabled.
how to do it?

thanks

On 08/06/10 11:05, Rob Wultsch wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:59 PM, Götz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator
> <goetz.reinicke@stripped>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> we do have different LAMP systems and recently I started to put some
>> mysql databases on one, new master server. (RedHat, Fredora, MySQL 4.x -
>> 5.0.xx)
>>
> MySQL 4.X is EOL. I strongly suggest not using it for new projects, if
> you have the option. If possible, MySQL 5.1 is recommended,
>

>> I did this by exporting some databases with mysqldump and importing tham
>> on the new server.
>>
>> Now I'd like to add a slave mysqlserver and so I started to read some
>> docs from the web and manuals from addison-wesley but some questions do
>> remain or occur.
>>
>> What is the best way to "copy" the databases from the master to the
>> slave? I thought that I can shut down the master and copie the database
>> directory to the slave and than go on with the config, restarting the
>> servers, etc.
>>
>> Doing so, do I have to lock any InnoDB tables or anything else? (May be
>> I missunderstand some docs...)
>>
> Perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are doing, but shutting down
> the master instance will make it inaccessible until it is restarted.
>
> Please read http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/replication-howto.html
> .  That document has the basics right, other than snapshoting. In
> terms of getting a snapshot, if you have a innodb only instance*
> (which is good idea), and can stop ddl commands, you can use mysqldump
> with the master-data and single-transaction flags in order to take a
> non-blocking dump suitable for replication use. For MyISAM only
> instances FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK can be used. The easiest way to
> make a snapshot is to shut down the master instance and make a copy of
> the data files. When you restart the master make note of which binary
> log file it starts to write to.
>
> *Other than the mysql schema, of course.
>

>> So far I only copied a few databases from the different servers to the
>> new master.
>>
>> The second "big" question is: How to add new databases to the master
>> after sucessfully running a master-slave-setup? Will the new database be
>> copied/created on the slave automatically? Or do I have to create tham
>> twice?
>>
> New databases will be automatically created. Once you have the Master
> setup with binary logging you can inspect what it will have have the
> slave execute by using the mysqlbinlog command on the log files or the
> SHOW EVENT (http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/show-events.html)
> syntax.

Thread
how to setup replication - MySQL 5.0.x - Migration and new databasesGötz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator8 Jun
  • Re: how to setup replication - MySQL 5.0.x - Migration and new databasesRob Wultsch8 Jun
    • Re: how to setup replication - MySQL 5.0.x - Migration and new databasesGötz Reinicke - IT-Koordinator10 Jun
      • Re: how to setup replication - MySQL 5.0.x - Migration and newdatabasesJoerg Bruehe10 Jun
    • Re: how to setup replication - MySQL 5.0.x - Migration and new databaseslejeczek13 Jul
      • Re: how to setup replication - MySQL 5.0.x - Migration and new databasesMichael Dykman14 Jul