What are they running on those web servers?  PHP?  if so, which is of the several PHP interfaces to MySQL are they using? (Zend Enterprise does some smart connection pooling).  Java-based applications tend to use connection polling more often than not.

You should find out to determine if those sleeping connections are a good sign or a bad one.