List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jay Blanchard Date:July 12 2010 3:24pm
Subject:RE: Creating a Data Dictionary
View as plain text
[snip]
Perhaps I have a conflict of terms here, but my googling "mysql data
dictionary" turned up material that didn't seem to correspond with my
problem. In python I can create dictionaries:
my_dict = {'1': 'one', '2': 'two'}
Now, I would like to create the equivalent of an enum in which I could
utilize data like that. Of course, I could lump the whole key-value
pairs
into one data and create an enum like that, then parse them later. I'm
just
wondering if there's a more elegant way to do this.
[/snip]

There is an enumerated type
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/enum.html and there are data
dictionaries
http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-datadictionary.html
but neither are really what you want.

Actually what you're describing the reason that we have databases in the
first place - the ability to have data in one column ('1') related to
data in another column ('one') in a record. The most elegant way of
using a database is to use it as it was designed.
Thread
Creating a Data DictionaryVictor Subervi12 Jul
  • Re: Creating a Data DictionaryMichael Dykman12 Jul
  • RE: Creating a Data DictionaryJay Blanchard12 Jul
    • Re: Creating a Data DictionaryMichael Dykman12 Jul