List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Jay Blanchard Date:July 12 2010 3:24pm
Subject:RE: Creating a Data Dictionary
View as plain text
Perhaps I have a conflict of terms here, but my googling "mysql data
dictionary" turned up material that didn't seem to correspond with my
problem. In python I can create dictionaries:
my_dict = {'1': 'one', '2': 'two'}
Now, I would like to create the equivalent of an enum in which I could
utilize data like that. Of course, I could lump the whole key-value
into one data and create an enum like that, then parse them later. I'm
wondering if there's a more elegant way to do this.

There is an enumerated type and there are data
but neither are really what you want.

Actually what you're describing the reason that we have databases in the
first place - the ability to have data in one column ('1') related to
data in another column ('one') in a record. The most elegant way of
using a database is to use it as it was designed.
Creating a Data DictionaryVictor Subervi12 Jul
  • Re: Creating a Data DictionaryMichael Dykman12 Jul
  • RE: Creating a Data DictionaryJay Blanchard12 Jul
    • Re: Creating a Data DictionaryMichael Dykman12 Jul