List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Miguel Vaz Date:July 9 2010 3:29am
Subject:table structure problem
View as plain text
Hi,

I am having some uncertainty while designing the following structure:

I have two sets of data:

* arqueology sites (can be natural):

id
name
description
id_category
id_period

* natural sites (can be arqueological also - bear with me -, so there will
be duplicate records in the above table and this):

id
name
description
altitude

and i would like to put these two "sites" in the same data set and maybe add
a new table called "site types" to categorize each record (maybe a relation
table to allow many to many): how can i go about doing it? is this solution
decent enough:

* sites (generic):

id_site
name
description

* site_natural
id
id_site
altitude

* site_arqueology
id
id_site
id_category
id_period

But i seem to be missing something. How can i have this in a way that its
easy to list only "arqueology sites" for example. I feel the solution is
simple enough, even for me, but its eluding me. Any help in the right
direction would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Pag

Thread
table structure problemMiguel Vaz9 Jul
  • Re: table structure problemMySQL)12 Jul
    • Re: table structure problemMiguel Vaz12 Jul