List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:Nima Mohammadi Date:July 7 2010 7:12pm
Subject:Re: How to slim MySQL?
View as plain text
On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 8:39 PM, Andrés Tello <mr.criptos@stripped> wrote:

> The more information, the easiest to pinpoint solutions.
>
> delete all client and administrativ tools (mysql, mysqladmin, etc from the
> "server", since you aren't doing any transactions, I think you can ditch all
> engines excepto the isam/myisam, the basic one, also you migth want to leave
> memory engine...
>
> If I understand your project, you migth copy the database to the ram into a
> tmpfs and if any change is needed, you update it, maybe to another engine??
>
> What would I do. Build  mysql in some machine, only copy mysqld and it's
> libraries, start it and trace it with strace -e open to see what files does
> it needs at startup. Supply them.
>
> Add the database, run the aplication.
>
> If not working, repeat... until it works...
>
> that would be my approach, I think that would take like... 2 days at most.
> Don't think about leaning down the mysql, better thik about providing what
> it barely needs to run properly.
>
> Good luck.

It seems like a reasonable (though time-consuming) approach. I'm going to
give it a try. I think watching for the open() function will suffice (strace
-e open). Is there any other syscall I should be worry about?

-- Nima Mohammadi

Thread
How to slim MySQL?Nima5 Jul
  • Re: How to slim MySQL?Rob Wultsch5 Jul
    • Re: How to slim MySQL?Nima Mohammadi5 Jul
      • Re: How to slim MySQL?Rob Wultsch5 Jul
        • Re: How to slim MySQL?Nima Mohammadi5 Jul
          • Re: How to slim MySQL?Michael Dykman5 Jul
      • Re: How to slim MySQL?Joerg Bruehe6 Jul
        • Re: How to slim MySQL?Nima Mohammadi6 Jul
  • Re: How to slim MySQL?mos6 Jul
    • Re: How to slim MySQL?Nima Mohammadi6 Jul
      • Re: How to slim MySQL?AndrĂ©s Tello6 Jul
        • Re: How to slim MySQL?Nima Mohammadi7 Jul
Re: How to slim MySQL?Michael Dykman5 Jul