List:General Discussion« Previous MessageNext Message »
From:mos Date:July 6 2010 2:40pm
Subject:Re: How to slim MySQL?
View as plain text
Roam,
        Why are you installing a client server database on an embedded
system? There are better databases for this task. In the past I've been
able to squeeze a Windows application and an SQL database so it could run
directly off of a floppy disk (remember those?). But it wasn't client
server. :) It seems to me you are trying to fit an elephant into a phone
booth. Just don't expect it to sit up and dance.

      BTW, where are the MySQL temp files going to go? Like the ones used
for sorting the table? Also are you going to have crash recovery in case
the machine gets accidentally powered off and damages the database?

Mike

At 09:59 AM 7/5/2010, you wrote:
>Hi folks,
>I'd like to install MySQL on an embedded system. It's a powerful x86-based
>computer with the only limitation of having a small-size flash ROM as its
>secondary storage.
>I tried installing MySQL from source which resulted in occupying 140 MB of
>disk space, while the maximum amount of flash memory I'm permitted to use is
>about 20-30 MB. So I'm wondering how to go about slimming MySQL down to the
>bare minimum. Following is the list of directories at the root of the
>installation directory:
>* bin/
>* include/
>* lib/
>* libexec/
>* mysql-test/
>* share/
>* sql-bench/
>
>I think removing the 'include', 'mysql-test' and 'sql-bench' directories may
>be a good start, but I'm still far away from having a tiny little mysql!
>
>BTW, I tried MySQL Embedded, but it seems that it doesn't meet our needs.
>
>Any help would be highly appreciated :)
>
>*-- Nima Mohammadi*

Thread
How to slim MySQL?Nima5 Jul
  • Re: How to slim MySQL?Rob Wultsch5 Jul
    • Re: How to slim MySQL?Nima Mohammadi5 Jul
      • Re: How to slim MySQL?Rob Wultsch5 Jul
        • Re: How to slim MySQL?Nima Mohammadi5 Jul
          • Re: How to slim MySQL?Michael Dykman5 Jul
      • Re: How to slim MySQL?Joerg Bruehe6 Jul
        • Re: How to slim MySQL?Nima Mohammadi6 Jul
  • Re: How to slim MySQL?mos6 Jul
    • Re: How to slim MySQL?Nima Mohammadi6 Jul
      • Re: How to slim MySQL?AndrĂ©s Tello6 Jul
        • Re: How to slim MySQL?Nima Mohammadi7 Jul
Re: How to slim MySQL?Michael Dykman5 Jul